Thursday, December 4, 2014

Bring Chivalry Back


The saying today is that "chivalry is dead". Unfortunately, I'd have to agree...mostly. This breed of men is on the verge of extinction but they are still out there!

Early this morning, I walked out to my car to defrost the windows. I'm a bit petty when it comes to the cold so I sit huddled in the car until the heat does it's thing. Next to me was a man scraping the ice off of his car. When he was done, he came over to my window and asked if I'd like him to clear my windshield. I thanked him profusely and we went about our days. But that small act of kindness stuck with me and I've continued to think about how rare that is today. 


I'm extremely blessed to be marrying a man who is as chivalrous as it comes. He holds my door, he carries my bags, he protects me and makes me feel secure. His parents raised him right and I am eternally grateful for that. 

It is troubling that these values aren't taught or even encourages as of late and there are many factors that go into that. But being a woman of God and knowing what His plan is for us all, I know how truly important these actions are. 

If God blesses Johnathan and I with a son, I want to teach him to be like his father. I want him to respect women enough to see the importance of taking care of them. I want him to do the little things, like holding doors and walking them to their cars. I want to teach our son to treat women the way God intended them to be treated. Yes, women are just as able as men are at opening doors and carrying their bags but that's not the point. The point is to let the men protect you and serve you. 


If God blesses Johnathan and I with a daughter, I want her to allow and encourage the men in her life to treat her with respect. I want her to respect herself enough to let a man protect her and show her this kind of love. I don't want her to put a man down for holding her door because he is making her feel "weak" and "useless". That is not what this man means and he should be praised for going out of his way to help her. 

I thank the man that helped me this morning. He started my day off with a smile. 


(my photos are all from tumblr.com)

1 comment:

  1. Speaking as a very independent woman, I love that I have a man that cherishes me enough to open the door for me, that gets up immediately to help me carry things in from the car, that brings me a cup of coffee made just the way I like it..... I don't feel weak, I feel loved!

    ReplyDelete